Who Am I?

Monday, December 30, 2013

Chili Recipe

So, a friend of mine asked my advice about his chili recipe a week or so ago. I thought that I'd post my run-of-the-mill chili recipe here, both for him to reference in the future, and for the sake of sharing with all of you. (Keep in mind that I use as many organic ingredients as possible. This means that spices don't have fillers, etc. I've tried to make notes where I think this will affect others.) I hope you enjoy it!

INGREDIENTS
1 to 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced (You can use canned, diced green chilies in a pinch too.)
1 lb. ground turkey (You can use ground beef, but will have to drain the fat, when cooked.)
2 15 ounce cans chili beans with liquid (I use a low-salt bean blend of dark red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans.)
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce (If you like tomatoes, use diced tomatoes instead. I'm pleasing picky eaters.)
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
2 to 3 teaspoons pure chili powder (If yours is conventional or a blend, use 2 to 3 tablespoons instead.)
1 teaspoon cumin
1-2 tablespoons sugar (to cut the acid of the tomatoes)
8 drops Tabasco hot sauce
2 teaspoons salt (or to taste- depending upon the saltiness of your canned beans)
10 grinds of black pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Sauté the onions, garlic, and peppers in the oil until translucent.
2. Add the meat and brown, breaking into small pieces until thoroughly cooked.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, and seasonings. Stir thoroughly and simmer.
4. Season to taste.

For more variety, sauté in bacon drippings or use an italian sausage instead of the turkey/beef. Serve with shredded cheese, diced onions, or sour cream/plain low fat yogurt. We like to eat this with corn bread on the side. I'll post that recipe some other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think... thanks!