Who Am I?

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Snow

It continues to be cold. Snow continues to fall. My social media peeps are griping and growling about it, but it doesn't bother me. It IS only March after all. Whatever happened to, "April showers bring May flowers?" In these parts all the spring flowers are usually over a done with by Easter it seems. So, I'm looking forward to spring weather starting in spring and not before. 

I know. I'm weird. But I did live in northern climes for a while. We couldn't plant our gardens until June and had snow in October. 50 degrees was short sleeve weather. So this mid-America hatred of snow is a bit foreign to me.


Besides, snow is pure and lustrous and fills the air with reflected light. Those are good things, right? Here's today's example. This morning, the view out of the living room windows toward the woods was spectacular. The sparkling, shimmering, and shining snow showers slowly sifted and swirled through shafts of sunlight that seeped between the swaying trees. It was mesmerizing and marvelous. The glistening, gleaming, and glinting crystals circulating in splendid spirals lifted my spirits. 



Briefly I imagined being 7 again so that I could enjoy a few, self-absorbed and blissful minutes. I could picture it: I'd be whirling and spinning in the whorls of snow, my arms outstretched, my face upturned. Then I'd fall backward onto a cold and faintly crunchy carpet of luminescence, holding my breath in order to hear the faint and feeble whispers and sighs of the snowflakes as they softly struck the surface of the snow around me. The flakes would alighted on my cheeks like tiny, wet kisses, and I would smile. 



This is what people are complaining about? No, I think that they are complaining about their inability to take time to enjoy the snow. And I think they are complaining about the cold. I've been taking note lately, and people in this part of the country don't seem to know how to dress for the weather. What is it with the thin jackets, no gloves, and nary a hat? Of course winter weather in that is miserable. But as the saying goes, "There's no such thing as a bad winter- just bad winter clothes." It's a little like wearing a sweater to the beach in July and complaining about summer. 


Let's bundle up and just let the slow slide into spring begin and not rush things. Besides, the earlier it gets warm, the more we'll just need to mow.  So let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow!

1 comment:

  1. Here’s a little springtime news for you... the National Weather Service for our area has issued a Winter Storm Watch, which remains in effect from Sunday morning through Monday morning. Accumulations of as little as 3 to upwards of 9 inches are possible. The snow is expected to begin early Sunday morning, possibly mixing with rain across south-central portions of our state. As colder air overspreads the region late Sunday afternoon and evening, any mixing with rain will end with snow likely to increase in intensity. While snow is expected to lighten by Monday morning, an additional light accumulation is possible. Winds are expected to gust to 25 to 30 mph on Sunday afternoon and evening, causing blowing snow.

    It's a good thing I wasn't already grumpy!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think... thanks!