Who Am I?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Home-made Foaming Hand Soap

People often ask me after visiting, "What hand soap is that in the bathroom?" And I sheepishly tell them that I make it. Some have asked for the "recipe". Someone on Facebook recently did too, so I figured that if I am going to type it up, I might as well make it a blog post. Here goes!


Foaming Hand Soap

1 foaming hand soap bottle (You can recycle a foaming hand wash bottle or buy a new bottle like this.)
1 cup warm water, approximately (avoid "hard" water if possible)
4 teaspoons Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile soap (Don't freak out about the hippy label :) and add more if your water is super "hard" or you like a thicker foam.)
15 drops grapefruit seed extract (edible and has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties)
3 drops tea tree oil (has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties)

1. Fill the bottle with the water.
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Replace the pumping top and agitate gently to mix.

For those with sensitivities, or who dislike strong-smelling soaps, I recommend the unscented castile soap.

For those who prefer a pleasant smelling soap (also a way to tell if your child has washed his or her hands) you can either use the unscented and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, or you can simply purchase a scented liquid castile soap.

I hope you like my concoction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think... thanks!